Sunday, October 25, 2015

Changing the Pledge of Allegiance.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Everyone knows that the "under god" was added during the cold war, when it should not have been.  But that does not even bother me as much as having the pledging to the flag.  The flag is simply an Icon an object that does nothing other than exist.  Every elected person, military and appointed person swears an oath that includes the Constitution and the protection of, and adherence to the Constitution.

This is a pledge that I think would satisfy most people.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under Law, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Unlike the Flag which does not protect our freedoms, does not unify us, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are the very foundation of our Rights, Protections and Freedoms.  I cannot see where anyone would have a problem with swearing allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America.

Of course religious zealots will scream about getting rid of the "under god" but what the heck it should never have been put into the pledge in the first place.  And we are a nation of laws so replacing "under god" with "under law" seems reasonable enough to me.

Well just my opinion, though I must admit it is a good one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment